Saturday, July 16, 2011

Please Help! What could be wrong with this stray cat's eyes? Haws Syndrome?

There's cat that we think was abandoned when someone moved out and left it behind. She is very friendly and the people that live in these apartments all take care of her. She is very clean and healthy looking. She's well fed and at a healthy weight. We don't know how old she is but looks like at least 3 years old but it's hard to tell so she might be a lot older. She is white with gray spots and very cute so everyone calls her Pretty Kitty. I was petting her and caught a glimpse of her eyes. This was the first time I've ever seen her. At first I thought her eyes were part brown and part blue. I was horrified to find that there was a blue-gray eyelid thing? It's really hard to describe. I searched online and I think it's called the nictitating membrane. It starts at the inner corner of her eyes and covers part of her eyes (like a little over 1/3 of them) not the whole thing. I'm pretty sure I'm the first to notice this so maybe it just started recently. She seems to be able to see okay. I was thinking maybe it was a cat fight injury but its on both eyes and there aren't any signs of any injuries. There aren't any other symptoms that I know of. She is very friendly and loves to be pet. She doesn't seem to be in pain or have vision problems but animals are good at not showing pain. I am going to see if maybe people in these can pool their money together to pay for a vet visit. One time she had a cat fight injury and someone cleaned and bandaged it so I know people care. I'm really worried and we are going to get her vet care as soon as we can. She's usually some where near the apartments cause that's where she sleeps and eats but it isn't always the same spot every night. I hope we will be able to find her easily. I am aware that this is no substitute for a vet and we are taking her in. I just want to know if anyone here has seen this before, what it is and how animals recover from it. I was looking online and I found a picture of cat that looks like it has the same thing.. Here is the picture link: http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=cat+nictitating+membrane&view=detail&id=7735894EA0CBA45BE15DA425BBB5D04304B23976&first=0&FORM=IDFRIR It sounds like maybe she has Haws Syndrome. Apparently that sorts itself out on its own. I will get a diagnosis from the vet but I'm just wondering if you've had a cat that had the same or similar problem?

No comments:

Post a Comment